Quips, tips and parting shots
Ranking FEMALE-FRIENDLY Cities
do not get past
page 18 in a
book they have
Source: selfpublishingresources.com ”
What are the best
markets for female
executives and business
owners? A recent biz-journals study, which
focused on the nation’s
100 largest metropolitan areas, ranked the
cities on the right as
THE SPEAKERS GUIDE
What NOTto Wear
• Never wear a belt with suspenders. If
you are that worried about your pants
falling down, they are too big.
• Never wear more than one pattern
at a time. You are not a TV test target.
1. San Francisco-Oakland
3. New York City
4. Los Angeles
5. Madison, Wis.
8. Columbus, Ohio
10. New Haven, Conn.
You never get a second chance to make a
first impression. Often, well-prepared
speakers are not dressed for success.
Here’s some fashion advice:
plunging necklines, and high heels—
• Too much makeup is for corpses
unless you want to be part of the
Eighty-eight percent of all small-busi-ness owners say it now takes more time
to comply with government regulation
than two years ago. Per individual industry, 92 percent
of transportation companies, 90 percent
83 percent of manufacturers and 80 percent
of the food industry also say it takes
longer today than it
did two years ago.
• Leave your expensive jewelry at home
unless your topic is about success.
• If it’s Christmas time and you want to
look like an ornament, it’s okay.
• Never wear socks with sandals. If you
want to wear sandals, move to a
• Don’t wear stretch pants on the
platform. They simply don’t
hold up what needs to be
held up. If we can see your
belly, it better be because
you are pregnant.
• Never wear ties that have a novelty
pattern. Disney equals “goofy.”
• Don’t advertise for designers. You
aren’t a sports star that receives paid
• Baggy clothes add weight. Practice
• You are always on stage, even upon
arrival at the hotel. Dress like you are
going to give your elevator speech to
thousands of passengers.
• Panty lines are never sexy.
Profit Associates and
Small Business Research
• Forget the latest fashion statements.
Shoes and clothes should be in the
• Shoes should be shined and fit well.
They are “sole food” for any speaker.
• Nail it. Chipped nail polish or dirty
nails points the wrong finger at you.
• The only thing that should be plung-
ing is your stocks. No matter how
good you look with sleeveless tops,
James Feldman, CITE, CPIM, CPT, MIP